Department of English
Mission: The USMAPS Department of English will prepare Cadet Candidates to succeed at USMA. The department will accomplish its mission by enabling Cadet Candidates to do the following:
- Write out-of-class and in-class essays that are strong in substance, style, organization, and correctness, all of which result from the process approach to writing. Students will write at least seven out-of class essays and six in-class essays over the course of the year.
- Read critically. Instructors will challenge students to read sophisticated, college-level pieces in an effort to better prepare them for standardized testing and the rigors of USMA’s curriculum.
- Speak effectively in class discussions and oral presentations. Students will deliver at least two formal speeches and a recitation in addition to regular class discussions.
- Maximize their potential on the reading and writing portions of standardized tests. All students will take/retake the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) in an effort to gain admission to the academy.
- Document their submissions properly using Modern Language Association (MLA) format.