Welcome to West Point!
There is no better way to experience what makes West Point special than to see it for yourself. We invite you to schedule an admissions visit to learn more about the process for admittance to the United States Military Academy, to feel the energy of the Corps of Cadets, and to immerse yourself in the unfolding history of this national landmark. Before you make your plans, please read the additional information below to make sure you have the absolute best experience possible during your time here at West Point.
For a guided Admissions orientation visit, please make an appointment by calling 845-938-5760/5759 or schedule online below.
West Point Weather Status Line: 845-938-7000
Information for Applicants and Families
During the winter months, the West Point garrison is subject to delays and closings as determined by the garrison commander. If you have a visit scheduled during the winter months, please check the weather here and call 845-938-7000 for an updated weather status. If a winter storm is expected, we highly recommend rescheduling your visit. We will do our best to accommodate visitors during winter weather, however, we will put the safety of our cadets, employees, and families first.
We do not host visits during Graduation Week (18-24 May 2020) and the week preceding Reception Day (R-Day) (25-30 June 2020) due to unavailability of personnel for orientation visits.
All visitors without a Department of Defense Identification Card must report to the Visitor Control Center (VCC) to obtain a visitor pass to enter West Point as it is an active military garrison. Security personnel at the VCC issue a West Point Local Area Credential that authorizes you to enter the installation through the Thayer Gate. We strongly recommend accounting for this when planning your visit as it could take up to one hour. You are also subject to a voluntary vehicle inspection at the gate which could further delay you. The VCC is located approximately 1/4 mile from the Thayer Gate at 2107 New South Post Rd, West Point, NY, and is open from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily. We recommend calling ahead to the VCC, (845) 938-0390 or (845) 938-0392, to ensure you have the most up to date information on accessing West Point.
We offer daily tours generally Monday through Friday with the exceptions of Federal holidays, cadet study days, and modified schedule days. From mid-September through November, and from mid-January through April, we offer visits on the academic year schedule. Academic year visits start at 7:45 a.m. and include cadet briefings and escorts for candidates. Academic year visits are by appointment only and may be scheduled through our online appointment system by following the prompts below. The exact availability for each day is clearly marked in the scheduling system and a confirmation email is sent with the schedule of events. All other times of the year, we offer a 10:00 a.m. briefing and walking tour on a walk-in basis with an admissions officer Monday through Friday, with the exception of Federal holidays.
- We prioritize high school seniors and juniors during the academic year schedule due to limited capacity, but will include sophomores and freshmen when seats are available.
- Overnight tours are by invitation only to select high school senior candidates.
- Follow us on Social Media @westpointadmissions
- High school freshmen and sophomores may join our mailing list here
- You may also call (845) 938-5760/5759 for help if you are unable to navigate the website prompts. We are happy to assist you!
- Just 45 minutes north of New York City
- West Point sits high on a hill overlooking the Hudson River
- Spectacular views are just part of the natural and architectural beauty that is West Point
- GPS: 1 Thayer Road, West Point, NY - Thayer Gate; 606 Thayer Road - Admissions building